What media and other writers say about Classic Hikes of North America:
One of our finest chroniclers of climbing tells us what we need to enjoy North America's most spectacular hikes. Potterfield's writing is elegant and engaging: Open "Classic Hikes of North America" to any page and see if you don't feel you're already out there.
- MICHAEL SHNAYERSON, Vanity Fair contributing editor and author of Coal River
Classic Hikes of North America is a thoroughly researched guide to spectacular hikes... Striking photos and beautiful maps accompany the fun to read descriptions, and his accounts will make you want to load up your pack and follow in his footsteps!
- ED VIESTURS, high altitude climber and author of No Shortcuts to the Top
Peter is the best informed, the most complete, readable and exhaustive hiker in North America... This tome is invaluable.
- RICHARD BANGS, co-founder, Mountain Travel Sobek and author of Quest for the Sublime
Writing from the soles of his feet and the bottom of his heart, Peter Potterfield delivers equal portions of inspiration and practical information Turn a few pages, and readers will find themselves looking to a calendar to set dates for the 25 hikes detailed in this magnificent book.
- ANDREW MCLEAN, author of Backcountry Skiing and Beyond
Few people have wandered as many spectacular places around the world as Peter Potterfield... Brought to life with beautiful photography, rich descriptions and practical details to guide almost anyone, every page of Classic Hikes inspires wanderlust.
- GORDON WILTSIE, author of To the Ends of the Earth
With its thorough research, accessible information and stunning images, this book makes me long to get out into the wilds of America, and walk!
- MARIA COFFEY, founder of Canada's Hidden Places Travel and author of Explorers of the Infinite
PRAISE FOR CLASSIC HIKES OF NORTH AMERICA